Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Rabbi Elvis?


My relationship with PHD has been sort of a whirlwird romance. He is a wonderful man, I adore him, LO adores him, and he's Jewish - really what more could I ask for?

(Ok, you're right, I could ask for a lot more, and he actually is so much more than I could have ever hoped for.)

So, when I was telling friends that we were going to Las Vegas together, I was met with, "You're not going there to get married are you?" My response was, "Of course not...unless I can find a Rabbi who happens to be an Elvis impersonator." Yep - that got a blank stare. But afterall, if you're going to get married in Las Vegas, it has got to be by an Elvis, right? Then, I took it even further and asked, "Should it be the young hip-swinging Elvis or the old drugged up Elvis?" Friends who know me well know that when I say meshugganah things like this, there have been times when I actually was not joking, so I had to then assure everyone that I am not going to Vegas to get married by a Rabbi Elvis.

Later I was talking with PHD and he mentioned that when we get married (yes, you read that right) he would like two Rabbis to officiate - our Rabbi and a close friend of his who is a Rabbi. Jokingly I said, "Let's bring them to Vegas with us - we can have both - one dressed as the young hip-swinging Elvis and the other as the old drugged up Elvis."

So which would you choose? The young hip-swinging Elvis or the old drugged up Elvis?

(Wouldn't it be funny if our Rabbi dressed as Elvis for Purim?)

16 comments:

Bart said...

I'd have to go with the older Elvis - one who looks like he's been hitting the Manischewitz pretty hard.

The Babka Nosher said...

It would be hard to choose... I've always been partial to El Vez (the Mexican Elvis), myself. But you probably have an even slimmer chance of finding one of those that is also a rabbi.

Jack Steiner said...

Try this link as a starting place

Synopsis:
A behind-the-scenes account of an irreverent and witty film documentary, in which the authors took an Hasidic Jewish Elvis impersonator and an Orthodox Rabbi on a trek to trace Elvis's roots all the way to Israel and then bring the good news home to Graceland.

Jack Steiner said...

Or try Schmelvis and see what happens. ;)

miriam sawyer said...

The older Elvis, without a doubt. He'd be good at marrying people--he knows what it is to suffer.

Amy Guth said...

Now, if we can combine payes and sparkly tzittzit into an Elvis jumpsit, old druggie Ortho-Elvis has my vote.

(Oy, I'm a jerk.)

Hila said...

Young, hip, swinging Elvis. He's sexier :-)

Hila said...

Ooh---and mazel tov!!! If I read you right, you said WHEN you and PHD get married, not if!!!

You had us believing that LO was just trying to set you up with this man when it appears you two have already found each to the other's liking. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thats such great news. When a man says things like "when we get married," you need to take that pretty seriously. Cool. I'm happy for you.

Jessica said...

Mazel tov! The "when we get married" thing is very promising.

And young Elvis, definitely.

Anonymous said...

Mazel Tov! That's inspiring, (I hope). We trust he'll get around to actually proposing sometime around the 2nd anniversary or so. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

orieyenta said...

Bart - ewww...hitting the Manischewitz too hard, bet that's not a pretty picture.

BN - El Vez may be easier to find in Spanish speaking Miami then you think!

Jack - should I be amazed or scared that you know of something as obscure as this?

Miriam - PHD laughed at your comment. I wonder if that should make me worry?

Amy - a jerk? No way - Your Othro-Elvis makes for quite the mental picture. (yes, I said mental.)

Hila - I agree - he is pretty cute. And you're right - we seem to have taken to each other but LO sure has helped push it all right along.

Ami - thanks. Yeah - I guess those words should be taken pretty seriously.

Jessica - He's pretty promising, so we shall see.

VJ - Oh I don't think it will take that long. He seems quite smitten.

Jack Steiner said...

Amazed and scared. ;)

torontopearl said...

Things indeed sound promising. Hope it all works out.

I can imagine a young Elvis as G.I. chaplain, marrying you two under the chupah, swinging his hips from side to side, wearing his blue suede shoes and humming "Love Me Tender" after PHD smashes the glass with his foot! Maybe Elvis can sing up a new version of "siman tov u mazel tov..."qehtivbw

torontopearl said...

ignore those last letters...somehow i typed the word verification in the wrong place -- no wonder things didn't go through the first time!

Annie said...

My father wants to open a Las Vegas wedding "chapel" for Jews. He thinks that there is a demand for such a thing.

I bet that he'd be willing to dress up as Elvis.