Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I need chuppah help!


Want to help me with a decision? The chuppah (which I thought would be the least of my problems) is turning out to be a bigger issue than I expected. One Rabbi has the portable poles but no tallit for it. Our Shul has free standing poles - but two are in the Rabbi's office serving as flag poles and one is broke. I can rent one for $175 but again, no tallit. So...I am in the market for a tallit.

Yes, I am kicking myself for not buying one while we were in Israel. However, I found www.tallis-n-tefillin.com where I will be able to purchase one at a reasonable cost. The man who owns the site is in Ft. Lauderdale (so this is basically local) and he has been very kind in answering all my questions. Here's my problem...I'm at a loss of what to buy.

I know what you're thinking, I should ask PHD. Well, I did. He thought we should borrow one from a friend but I don't want to be responsible for someone's tallit. I am too worried about ruining it as we would use the tzitzit to tie the tallit to the poles. He also thought of using an Israeli flag. While I love Israel as much as he does, I think this is tacky. I could go to the fabric store, buy some fabric and make one (since I am crafty that way) but to be honest, I have too many other things to worry about without adding a sewing project in. So...I am going to buy one despite the fact that PHD thinks I shouldn't spend the money on something we will use only once. (I told him we should be glad we would use it only once and that I would save whatever we bought and give it to LO when she gets married so she doesn't have to go on this search.)

So...pretty please with sugar on top, help me choose...white with white stripes? white with blue stripes? white with black stripes? Want to pick for me? I'll be your best friend. Have a better idea? I'm all ears.

Yes, I'm frazzled with all this wedding planning. But I am thankful to G-d that my biggest problem of the moment is that I can't decide what color tallit our chuppah should be. We should all only know of such problems, right?

Hope this finds you all enjoying the meat-free, dirty laundry days. :)

7 comments:

The Babka Nosher said...

While I like white & blue for davening... I think white/white is perfect for a chuppah. But then you run the risk of it not looking like a tallit, just white fabric. Well, that was far less helpful than I was hoping to be :)

Suzsqueak said...

white/white is beautiful for a chuppah, but the other option is to see if you can find a Emanuel Tallit to use. They're kosher tallit, and works of art, so you could possibly also have L.O. use it for her Bat Mitzvah and her wedding.

Jack Steiner said...

but two are in the Rabbi's office serving as flag poles and one is broke.

You could potentially buy a broom or mop handle and solve the pole problem.

orieyenta said...

BN - That's more helpful than you probably thought :)

Suz - Those are so pretty! Again, I am kicking myself for not buying one when we were in Israel because they are SO EXPENSIVE in the US!

Jack - Leave it to you to come up with such a solution. ;)

Jewish Deaf Motorcycling Dad said...

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion as to the type of tallit (I'm not good at that kind of thing, I'll ask my wife if she has an opinion...) but wanted to say, Avi at "Tallis-n-Tefillin" is wonderful. I bought my tefillins from him (got a late start) as well as some other things, and he spent time and several emails with me making sure everything was just right. A pleasure to work with.

Kol Ra'ash Gadol said...

By the way, there's no reason to use the tzitzit to tie the tallit to the pole. Just get some yarn and thread it through the button hole that the tzitzit go through.

on another note, I've heard of a very nice tradition of handing out silk squares to your friends to decorate and then get another friend to sew them together - leaving you with a lovely and memorable chuppah.

Or, just get a giant square of silk. It doens't have to be a tallit.

But if you still want to know, go with white on white. And Gabrielli tallitot are lovely, and you get order them inthe US.

Gila said...

Ori--do you want me to pick one up and airmail it to you? Seriously--it is no big deal here. Yair Emanuel's website is http://www.yairemanuel.net/Tallit.html. His stuff really is stunning..... I would love to be able to help! (You know, so you can focus on becoming bridezilla!)

Send me an email on gmail or facebook and let me know!