Monday, July 10, 2006

I knew it was only time

Other than the words happy and talkative, one of the other most often heard adjectives used to describe LO is LOUD.

There are plenty of times in which I find that although she and I are in the same room, based on her volume she might be thinking I am a few blocks away. Sometimes I will jokingly shout back to her, "WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING AT ME? I'M IN THE SAME ROOM AS YOU!" And then we both burst into laughter.

No place is immune from her lack of volume control and certainly not our shul. I usually try to sit towards the back since LO sometimes gets a little fidgety and I don’t like to disturb everyone else. This has worked well for us except for the fact that some poor unsuspecting person somehow manages to sit in front of us every time. And let’s just say…they never sit in front of us again. You see, LO simply LOVES to sing at shul – and it doesn’t matter if she knows the words (because her new thing is singing without even glancing at the siddur!) And geez can this kid sing LOUD! Yes – I am filled with joy that my daughter loves our traditions and is so proud of her Judaism. But I also fear that it is only time until someone says something like, “Do you think you could ask your daughter to sing a little quieter?”

Well much to my surprise, I have gotten a request regarding her singing – it just wasn’t the request that I expected. Our shul is having a multi-cultural service and LO has been asked to sing Hinay Ma Tov. Whenever she is around people she knows, she is “Personality Plus” – but in the past whenever she had to get up in front of strangers, she has been terrified. Because of this, I knew I should ask her before committing. I picked her up at camp yesterday and asked her. She said, “Sure! I’ll do it. Wait? In front of people?” I was sure the “No way!” was coming next. But then she said, “Yeah – ok – I’ll sing it for everyone.” Later on I heard singing coming from the bathroom – she had just taken a shower and she was brushing her hair and singing LOUDLY (obviously practicing for her big night at shul) while watching herself in the mirror.

Uh oh…what have I gotten myself into?

1 comment:

PsychoToddler said...

The PT has some volume control issues, too. I have recently been going to all the minyanim to say kaddish, and I sometimes find myself at home with my two youngest girls and everyone else gone, and then I suddenly realize I have to take them with me for Maariv.

Usually, my girls are in the women's section with their mother, but on these occasions, I keep them with me. A few weeks ago, after I gave The PT her bath and realized I needed to take her to shul, I picked her up in her sleeper, plopped her in the car and drove over.

She sat next to me but she couldn't keep her trap shut.

"Shhh! No talking in shul" I told her.

"WHY NOT?"

"SHHHHHHH!!! YOu have to be QUIET!!"

"OK I'LL BE QUIET."

"Good. mumblemumblemumble.."

"DO I STILL NEED TO BE QUIET??"